Friday, June 12, 2009

Following Promptings Promptly

The irony! I yearn to be guided throughout my day. When there is so much to do, it typically comes down to making decisions regarding which things to do now, and which ones to do later--hopefully!

So I'm saying my prayers this morning. From the moment I kneel, the very distinct impression comes to me to work on the skit that our girls are using for camp. They need it for practice today. But I already have a specific time set aside when I'm going to do that. And I don't WANT to do it now! I WANT to finish fixing this frustrating, messed up thing I've been trying to fix on my website. I want to just get that finally done--and I'm very close to finishing--then do whatever else. I will have plenty of time after that. But the feeling persists.

"Fine!" I mutter. "I'll write the skit! But I don't see why it would be such a big deal to finish fixing this other thing first...."

I'm just so silly sometimes. In the eternal scheme of things, it doesn't matter in the least. But seeking for help in keeping my days together, then following what direction I receive does. Not the thing itself as much as being grateful and willing to be guided even on small things if they come up. I do know from experience that I will always be glad I followed.

And I am grateful. It's embarrassingly ridiculous that in the moment, I at first feel grudgingly grateful. It's because it feels like just one more interruption in something I've been trying to get done. It takes me a couple of minutes to be still and go, "Oh, right. I'm not being interrupted. I'm being blessed." I really am glad to receive guidance about even the small things in my day that make life work better.

It's actually quite amazingly wonderful that heaven is willing to do such things for us, if we are willing to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment